Rust



The theme of this months Country View Crafts challenge is rust

I must admit I was utterly stumped at first. I had no idea what to for it. But a challenge is supposed to challenge you so I decided to try my hand at a mixed piece.

I started with a canvas panel and sponged on a mix of Broken China, Peacock Feathers, Peeled Paint and Shabby Shutters Distress Ink, to give a verdigris feel and provide a nice contrast to the rust colours.



Then I added some Hickory Smoke through a Deco Arts stencil to start building up texture.  I added some distress ink tinted texture paste through it as well.  While it was drying I coloured some die cut cogs and laser cut chipboard. One set of cogs was done in shades of grey, using a touch of metallic paint.  Corrosion as added with embossing powder dry brushed with back. Another set was cut from brown fun foam and copper distress paint stippled on.

The barbed wire chipboard is from Dusty Attic. These were given a base of grey then dry brushed with silver and black to give a metallic texture.

The clock was a wooden die cut from Kaisercraft that I've had for a thousand years, tinted with rusty hinge distress ink and then randomly embossed with Vintage Photo Distress embossing powder.  The hinges were grunge board given the same treatment.

The letters are grungeboard again, but coloured with Broken China and Peeled paint before being embossed with the distress powder, so they're not quite so dark

The quotes comes from   a poem by Robert H Smith.  The lettering I typed on my computer and then transferred to the panel using wax paper and my printer.  I printed in black as my original grey was too light to see.  When I went over it in rust red paint, it mixed with the black.  I couldn't see a way to fix how dark it is, so I left it. 

Finally I grunged up some metal hardware, mostly Tim Holtz, but some cogs out of my box of clock innards. By dry-brushing in black and rust red, it looks pretty good.  and then I added more texture with some random embossing with Vintage Photo again.


Looking at it, I decided the type charm was just too white and dragged the eye away, so I took it off, and then I was done.

Comments

  1. This is wonderful, it was a challengeing challenge this time, and you've risen to it with this fab mixed media piece. Thank you so much for joining in with us at Country View Crafts, and have a fun week. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing collage! Love your background and awesome elements. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I´m happy, that we could challenge you with this theme! You did a great job with your mixed media piece.
    Thank you for playing with us this month at Country View Challenges! Evelyn xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts